Memorial Day is coming up! However you choose to celebrate the holiday, there is no excuse not to do something fun this weekend. Although there are countless day trips to be had in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, we thought we’d count down our top five budget-friendly day trips for those looking to spice up their Memorial Day weekend.
1. Gettysburg Battlefield – This weekend, the town will be hosting battle re-enactments, tours through the National Park Service and even a traditional parade on Monday at 2:00 p.m.
2. Boalsburg, PA – Every year, Boalsburg, PA, which is also known as the birth place of Memorial Day, holds its annual festival. It provides music, carnival rides, art vendors and plenty of great food for those wishing to spend the day in this tranquil and scenic village.
3. Presque Isle State Park – Looking for an idyllic beach setting without the crowds? Check out Presque Isle State Park, located close to Erie, PA. Seven miles of beautiful beaches offer boating, water skiing, fishing and scuba-diving and are shared by more than 320 different bird species.
4. Pittsburgh Museums – Between the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Pittsburgh Children’s Museum, any possibility of rain shouldn’t put a damper on your Memorial Day plans if you can make the trek to Pittsburgh, PA. These world-class museums will provide a day of fun that no one will forget.
5. Longwood Gardens – Those living closer to the eastern part of the state can experience the change of seasons up close at this spectacular botanical garden. More than 20 indoor and outdoor gardens set on more than 1,000 acres are on display. Top off the day with a special dinner at any number of historical inns that surround this memorable spot.
Have a great Memorial Day! Remember to stop by an S&A Homes community and see us.